List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: class KStartParams
From:       Michael Koch <m_koch () bigfoot ! de>
Date:       1999-06-07 14:46:32

Am Mon, 07 Jun 1999 schrieb Stefan van den Oord:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 1999, Michael Koch wrote:
>
> > We can make it a part of KApplication or KGlobal, too. This way we
> > have an easy use of command-line arguments in each application.
>
> I think I would make it a static method of KGlobal; that way, it can
> be used even without using KApplication.

Yes, I thought this way too.

> > I want to make KoApplication in KOffice-libs using KStartParams.
>
> I would call it KOfficeApplication, but I guess that's a matter of
> taste.

It's named KoApplication a long time ago. Why change the name. It's an naming
convention in KOffice-libs: all class-names start with "Ko".

> > Any suggestions ?
>
> I never used it, but there is a getopt() system call, which is
> POSIX.2, according to the man page. Does that mean that it is
> `standard UNIX'? In that case, why not use that?

IMHO getopt is not very flexible. With KStartParams it will be easier to check
if a paramter is present or not. You can delete a parameter, check if a short
or a long version of a paramter is present, a.o.

With getopt() you have to deal with char*. KStartParams uses QString. You don't
need do handle complicated C-functions. IMHO it's easier to code C++ then C.

--
Michael Koch

KDE fan, enthusiast and developer
projects: Katabase and KImageShop