List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Cleaning up libraries
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       1999-06-06 14:10:33

On Sun, 30 May 1999 Mario Weilguni wrote:
>Recently there was a discussion if to remove some old classes from the core
>libraries and move it into a compatibility library to discourage using them. I
>assembled a list of classes which are good candidates for removal. Here's the list:
>
>>from kdecore
>* kcharsets
>* kcharsetsdata
>These should vanish because the functionalty is mostly in Qt now. But we
>urgently need somebody with experience with charsets to do this, and who is
>able to test that too.
>
>* kpoint
>* krect
>* ksize
>Reggie implemented those a while ago to overcome the limitation of 16-bit
>integers for coordinates. Since Qt 2 uses 32-bit integers now, these should be
>completly obsolete and should not even be moved in a compatibility library, a
>simple sed -e 's/K(Point|Rect|Size)/Q&2/' should do the job
>
>>from kdeui
>* kintegerline
>Is already declared obsolete.
>
>* kslider
>It's the same as QSlider, except it's only Windows style (according to
>docs), which only hurts styles and doubles the work to implement styles.
>Should be easy enough to remove.

One word at the beginning. I am the authof of KSlider and I would enjoy
geting rid of this class. But itīs not so easy.

KSlider has a pageStep as well as lineStep, which QSlider does not have.
The multimedia applications need this badly.
Please correct me if Qt2.0 now has both "step types".

And thereīs another problem: Many applications use KSlider. While I donīt
see any aesthetical disadvantage to replace the sliders in all the control
center modules, I think doing so in the multimedia applications (kmedia,
kmid) would be optically very unpleasing.

Comments welcome

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyon