List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: qproperty - bug - problem
From:       David Faure <david.faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-06-05 13:00:02

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 01:05:11PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem and I need some advice/help :)
>
> I found two bugs in QProperty, and I reported them twice (once on
> snapshot-users and once to the original Author) , without any reaction or
> fix (although I provided a patch) .
> Well, it doesn't matter why this hasn't been fixed in Qt's CVS by some of
> the Trolls, they will probably have their reasons (perhaps being busy with
> the beta release; qproperty is not part of the release) , I don't care.
>
> BUT: I have a bunch of code sitting on my hdd (including patches for
> KOffice to make filters, tools and plugins working again!) , but I can't
> commit this code, because it depends on a working QProperty. If I would
> just commit the code then it would break kservicetype and kded would then
> crash on startup. A non-working kded prevents KOffice apps from
> working, so Reggie for example couldn't continue hacking KWord/KPresenter
> if he'd cvs update (just as example) .
>
> My question is simple:
> What can be done, so I can commit?
>
> Should I post a patch (conforming to the QPL this way) to
> kde-devel@/koffice@ and make everyone require to apply it?
>
> Should I try to work around the bug? (although it would be a very ugly
> workaround IMHO)
>
> Or could I even commit the QProperty patch into CVS (now that QProp is
> temporarily in kdelibs) ?

I did some fixes in KSharedPtr (will be QSharedPtr one day)
so I think you can fix QProperty - but the problem is a bit different
since QSharedPtr is _not_ in Qt CVS at all. With QProperty we would have
a versioning problem.

Since you have a lot of things to commit I would say commit them
all including the QProperty fix - but keep asking TT to include the fix
as well.

About this QPL copyright problem :  all those TT classes are in fact
written by Torben.
I think he could easily ask to change the copyright temporary
to GPL and back to QPL when TT wants the classes.

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org