List:       kde-devel
Subject:    tcsh and KDE?
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-06-03 21:20:32

Has anybody else had problems running KDE with tcsh as the login shell?

A little background:
I am trying to convert several co-workers to using KDE instead of CDE.  The
process we use is to log in with Failsafe mode and run 'startkde' from
the resulting xterm.  It works like a charm for me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't *quite* work for two of my co-workers.  There are
two specific problems:

1) The path doesn't seem to get properly propagated.. even when the said path
   is specified in the user's .tcshrc

   For instance, the only apps that popup on initial startup are those
   explicitely specified in 'startkde'.   All session-managed controls
   return a 'konsole not found' (or whatever) message.  Likewise, trying
   to create a new .kdelnk file on the desktop with New->Application
   results in the 'kfmclient not found' error message.

   Clearly, the path is NOT being propagated after the startkde.  Any clues
   why?

2) All KProcess events hang forever.

   For instance, if I do an Alt-F2 and type 'xterm', nothing will happen.
   When I do a 'ps', I see the following

     /bin/tcsh -c xterm

   This process will stay there forever without ever executing.  ALL commands
   will do likewise.

   Note that executing this on the command line kinda works.  This is related
   in *some* way with 1) as it "loses" the path, too.

   So from a command line, 'konsole' works.  But if I do a '/bin/tcsh -c
   konsole' from the command line, I get a "konsole not found" response.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on.  Has anybody else had any experience
with a similar situation or have ANY clues?
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth