List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: LIB_KFM
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1999-06-03 13:20:05

Sven Radej wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 1999, David Faure wrote:
> (...)
> >[I still didn't understand how it works, to detect
> >that something has changed in a dir. Does it poll the dir ?]
> Torben said that he changed 70% of code in KRegistry and KDirWatch, so I'm not
> sure if this info still stands.
>
> KDirWatch checks for ctime of given directories every n seconds and if something
> is changed in directory, recurses into it and checks which file/subdir has
> changed (by comparing ctime of each file to stored last ctime). It can also
> detect if some file/subdir was deleted from directory.
This explain the memory consumption of kpanel I guess ;)

BTW: wasn't it planned to share the data between kpanel, kdesktop and
konqueror?
As far as I understood the debug info each and every application starts
parsing
from scratch.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.