List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KStandardDirs
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-30 21:32:57

Harri Porten wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I am just trying to switch from the KApp::*_dir() methods to
> KStandardDirs. In some cases the transition is easy (and makes sense) in
> others it won't be trivial. To make things a more convenient for
> programmers I would like to propose two extensions:
>
> o how about adding a type like "appdata" that would have a relative path
> "share/apps/${application name}/" ?
>
> o a QString findResourceDir( const QString& type, const QString&
> relative ) method ?
>
> I found that need when trying to convert the following line:
>
>  QDir d(kapp->kde_datadir() + "/kppp/Provider/");
>
> The application name would already be covered by the first proposal, of
> course.
>
> All in all I expect that KStandardDirs will allow a great deal of
> flexibility (fs standard- and multiple-configuration-wise). But I guess
> that there will be a few occasions when the programmer may want to
> explicitly demand a system or local location. Especially concerning
> _writing_ to files. Oh well. Let's see. We'll find a solution :)

The writing of files is still open - yes. Your suggestions make very
much
sense, I already thought about a way to get this right myself and what
you suggested was my favorite ;)

When we do it right, we should also remove localkdedir(). The ideal
solution would cover this too.

BTW: I would prefer
QStringList list = dirs()->findAllResources("appdata", "Provider");

Greetings, Stephan

--
Und sie nannten ihn, wie er selbst unterschrieb -
Den Trojanischen Pferdedieb