List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: HELP! cvs server: sticky tag `HEAD' for file `pipes.cpp'isnot a branch
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-30 19:43:25

Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> Harri Porten <porten@tu-harburg.de> wrote:
>
> >   To display the difference between your working file and the latest
> >   revision committed to your current branch, type:
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >                   cvs diff -r HEAD <file>
>
> exactly the same as if you omit the -r option ;-)

No ! No ! No ! :)

The files in "your current branch" could have been changed by others
after you have checked them out. Without the -r the comparison is done
relative to the versions you checked out. HEAD != BASE. Read the FAQ. It
contains a lot of useful information.

I suggest to try it out yourself: wait for a message on kde-cvs@kde.org
and compare the output of both alternatives.

Harri.

P.S. There are far too many posts on this simple topic. We better
continue this discussion in private mail if it should go on any further.