List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to make your translators lives easier
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-29 17:27:33

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Alex - it's not about getting the string right, it's about getting the
> context right. There tons of strings that you can translate in tons of
> ways. Just think about seeing "get" somewhere ;)

I know.  That's why posting (perhaps the surrounding code, and the english
"translation") to a list where there are quite a few native English
speakers would help the translator to understand the nuances of the
English language (IMO).

Even better:

to get something vs. to get some ;)

But this consistancy binge brings up a question of mine:

What about Americanisms v. Britishisms?  In the docs there are already
some apps with favorite, and some with favourite, etc, etc.  We've got en
and en_UK translations...  IMO it'd be a good idea to stick with one way
of doing things, and just use it throughout and then offer the other as a
translation (en and en_US or en and en_UK).

- alex

I thought felt your touch
In my car, on my clutch
But I guess it's just someone who felt a lot like I remember you.
  - Translator