List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: --enable-final again
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-28 23:27:28

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> Yes, but then size optimizations are really an issue. Suppose a 350kb
> program, optimized 200 kb. Loading 150 kb from disk takes around
> 50msec (min), and a Pentium 200 has 10 millions clock cycles in this
> time. It must be a hell of a good optimizer that saves you that much
> clock cycles. Let's face it: if some of our applications are slow at
> startup (e.g. kmail since 1.1.1), it's because of poor design, and it
> will bring much more to improve design than to bet on the optimizer of
> the compiler.

If something blocks for a while or causes the CPU to just bog down and
waste cycles needlessly.  Sure a better written program can usually help
better than a better compiler can, but why should we make the compiler the
limiting factor?  Code size on disk has very little (if any) bearing
(within reason) on application loading and execution time.

- alex

Everybody says is he allright?
Everybody says what's he like?

  - The Clash