List:       kde-devel
Subject:    ANNOUNCE: Heading for KDE 1.1.2 release
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-05-27 8:14:45

Hi friends,

as there has been a lot of request for a minor KDE release
prior to the first KDE 2.0 beta, KDE 1.1.2 will be released
somewhen in summer. To make life easier this time, we should
at least try to stick to our release shedule (to be found at
http://www.kde.org/release.html).

I am the "release dude" for 1.1.2 (and are still not sure that
"dude" is really not an insult ;), so if there are any
problems, questions or request concerning the release, please
contact me.

Roadmap:

Name....: KDE 1.1.2
Based on: KDE 1.1.1
Codename: Kolor (Colour outside the lines)
Aim.....: To release additions to KDE 1.1.1 which did not
          make it into KDE 1.1.1 and which give more "color"
          to KDE.
Includes: High-color icons, more backgrounds, theme manager
          etc. Important bugfixes
          Some new applications not yet in CVS.
Planned.: July 1999
Critical: Release date depends on the output from the
          artist-team being available. Remarks.: No changes to
          existing code other than bugfixes is
          allowed. Should be compatible with KDE1.1.

Procedure:

I will post an announcement to kde-devel every week to reflect
the current progess of the release. This way, every developer
should be able to know what is going on.

==>  1. Start of release		Week 1

     2. Application Freeze       	     4

     3. Translations                         6

     4. Source release                       8

     5. Final release                        9

TODO: Decide what will be released.

The release will be based on KDE 1.1.1, so the following
modules will be released:

- kdesupport
- kdelibs
- kdebase
- kdegames
- kdeutils
- kdemultimedia
- kdenetwork
- korganizer
- kdetoys

In addition, the KDE Theme Manager will be released, together
with a number of themes. As we don't want code changes in the
existing modules other than bug fixes, I propose to release a

- kdethemes

module.

Are there other things to include? Personally, I would really
love to have a

- kdevelop

module ready. Could the kdevelop developers please get in
touch with me about this?

CRITICAL:

- Output of the team currently know as the "Artist Team"

  Could you (Torsten?) please give me some feedback?

- Security bugs

  Are there any open security related bugs that have to
  be fixed?

Ok, that's it for the first.

Bye,
Matthias.