List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kimgio and qimgio : nonsense.
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       1999-05-27 5:16:16

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > On a somewhat related topic, I'm interested in knowing, though, how
> > Imlib manages to render stuff to screen more quickly than
> > QPixmap/QImageIO (I haven't seen this; I haven't used kuickshow since
> > trying it when it first came out, but it wouldn't work for me -
> > perhaps I had weird libraries or something). QPixmap::convertFromImage
> > seems quite compact to me, but if there is an improvement that can be
> > made... well, it should be made. :)
>
> The main reason why kuickshow is so much faster is because it loads the
> next picture before it gets selected, as ACDSee (if somebody knows
> this) and other picture viewers does.
>
> On the other way, the reason why kview is rather slow is because of
> some strange resize-management (it resizes it's window 2-3 times before
> it even thinks about drawing the picture here).

Hm, really? Tell me more... I wasn't bothered by the slow resizing because
I assumed it was due to the use of smooth scaling rather than simple pixel
duplication scaling. Perhaps I should make this an option. I haven't seen
the window resize problem either.

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Univ of Melbourne