List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mimetype stuff
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-25 17:59:52

I have no idea what you are all talking about.
I created mimetypes for myself, in ~/.kde/share/mimelnk, using
"New / MimeType", and they all work.

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 07:31:39PM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> I *know* that this is not the first person who writes a book about
> KDE and can't get this Mimetype-stuff to work. No wonder it's
> non-intuitive (especially for NON-kde-apps) and it's buggy IMO:
> Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (Unfortunately I
> couldn't figure out when it works)!
Never had such problems...

> I know how it *should* work but it doesn't always work. There
> must be a bug out there!
If so, we must find it out !

> The Mimetype-interface NEEDS a change! Imagine: there are even several
> book authors out there who don't know how to configure this Mimetype-
> thing!!! And if they are not able to do it -- who else should be able
> to do it?
"interface" = "user interface" I guess ? (as opposed to developer's interface)
If so, I don't see what's wrong with the properties dialog box !
It's rather intuitive I think.

The only confusing thing for some users is the merged global / local directories
(or the non-merged ones in older kfm versions - both approach are a bit
confusing IMHO). But once you understand that it's merged, there's no
problem with it.

> Yes, yes, yes, yes, *sigh* I've been sitting on this for more than
> five hours, too! -- Without any satisfying result!
Add debug output in kbind.cpp :)
(Torsten, I'm joking ;) - Uwe, I mean it ;))

Oh yes : are both of you talking about KDE-1.1.x or about HEAD branch ?

> me, too -- I searched the newsgroups, the FAQ's, everything because
> I couldn't figure out why it works only *sometimes* (or perhaps with certain
> apps). I tried everything, every variation -- Nothing! *SIGH*

I'm willing to help fix that bug, of course, but if I can't reproduce it,
there's no way I can do it. Try to get a reproduceable problem...

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org