List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mimetype stuff
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-25 17:31:39

> > On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 11:02:41AM -0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > How is the mimetype stuff in KDE supposed to work?
> > This question again ? :)

Yes, this question again! I've posted it on kde-devel@kde.org,
too -- several weeks ago.
I *know* that this is not the first person who writes a book about
KDE and can't get this Mimetype-stuff to work. No wonder it's
non-intuitive (especially for NON-kde-apps) and it's buggy IMO:
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (Unfortunately I
couldn't figure out when it works)!
I know how it *should* work but it doesn't always work. There
must be a bug out there!

The Mimetype-interface NEEDS a change! Imagine: there are even several
book authors out there who don't know how to configure this Mimetype-
thing!!! And if they are not able to do it -- who else should be able
to do it?

> > > If I want to install a new app and want kfm to recognize its files
> > > either from the file name extension or the first line of the file
> > > (it really doesn't matter that much) what has the installation
> > > procedure to do?
> >
> > > I tried to add an appropriate (or so I think) kdelnk file to
> > > kde/share/mimelnk and a line to /kde/share/mimelnk/magic to no
> > > avail so far.
> > Did you "Rescan bindings in kfm" ?
> > Also make sure you used
> > MimeType=
> > and not Mimetype=

Yes, yes, yes, yes, *sigh* I've been sitting on this for more than
five hours, too! -- Without any satisfying result!
> > !

> I did all that.

me, too -- I searched the newsgroups, the FAQ's, everything because
I couldn't figure out why it works only *sometimes* (or perhaps with certain
apps). I tried everything, every variation -- Nothing! *SIGH*