List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A great idea! (?)
From:       Stefan van den Oord <s.m.vandenoord () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       1999-05-25 7:16:27

On Sun, 23 May 1999, David Faure wrote:
>> I mean that when you create a new mime type, you could provide a file
>> as a sample of the type of files you want to bind. So if you want to
>> bind TAR-GZ files (but to their type, not their extension), you
>> would select a TAR-GZ file.
>This is not enough for mime-magic to work !!
>Have a look at the 'magic' file...

I see what you mean. But I am just looking at it from the user's
point of view; I am curious whether this is considered a useful
feature.

>> Same for all other files. You're right
>> that I can type "application/text" in the mime type field, but that
>> is hardly user-friendly.
>There is a GUI for this, you don't have to type anything.

You're right, I was mistaken. But still I have plain text files that
are not recognized by KDE (it asks me what application to open the
file with). The `file' command says: "International language text".
But, looking at the /usr/share/magic, I wonder if this type is
recognized due to some magic, because I can't find the entry that
could lead to "International language text".

But even without having a magic entry KDE could recognize the file,
namely by issuing the `file' command and comparing its output against
some internal database...

Stefan