List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: python bindings
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-24 18:07:24

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 01:15:23PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The pykde in kdelibs gives that many warnings
> while compiling that I'm sure it's an old version
> and won't work with newer KDE/Qt.
>
> On the home page of pyKDE there is a newer version
> (from May 4) that also split the sources into more
> files. So I guess, the one in kdelibs is _definitly_
> old, but this version if for Qt 1.44 and KDE 1.1.1,
> but we need one for HEAD and Qt 2.0.
>
> But when I tried what it would mean to update pyKDE,
> I found that the sources for the bindings are about
> 8MB and I'm afraid that is way too big to be included
> as part of kdelibs.
Wow !

> So we need to have a plan what to do with it - make
> it an optional package? What applications are using
> it right now?
Only kspread AFAIK.

> The sources could also be created from the kdelibs
> sources as far as I understood the pyKDE home page,
Yes, that would be the way to go, of course.

> but I'm not sure how well this would work with later
> versions.
The better thing would be that, just like IDL-generated files, it's
generated on the developer end when necessary. Not on the server end.

> And the problem with the size still remains ;(
Sure.

> But it doesn't make sense to maintain an obsolete
> version of pykde within kdelibs.
Sure.

Who wrote / maintains pykde anyway ?

Isn't there any way to have feed back from him / her ?

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org