List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K abiword port
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-05-24 17:03:24

Mosfet wrote:
> KOffice is most certainly not "functional vapourware", it is by far the most
> advanced free office suite availible. Just because the libraries it depends on
> are in a state of transition does not make KOffice vapourware.

I stand by my statement.  You make a slight mistake in your above statement by
saying "... office suite AVAILABLE".  KOffice is not "available" at all.

I seem to be misunderstood, though.  I am NOT saying that KOffice is not
advanced or that it is not usable.  It is incredibly advanced and I think it
is *almost* usable enough to write a book!

The reason KOffice is functional vaporware is because only KDE hackers can
use it.  Think about what "vaporware" means.  It refers to software that is
promised but never delivered.

We have NEVER delivered KOffice.  It exists only in snapshots and CVS.  Joe
User will never use either method to get the software.  That means that for
Joe User, KOffice *is* vaporware -- it is promised but he cannot use it.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth