List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Exec line in *.kdelnk
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-05-24 16:16:28

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> Exec=ktsp -caption "%c" %i %m %u
>                         ^^ ^^
> What are the i and m parameters in the Exec line of a *.kdelnk file for?
>
> I don't see any difference whether they are there or not but almost
> every app has them in that line. Maybe some legacy parameters which don't
> do anything? I can't find documentation about them either.

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde&m=91234021827399&w=2

says:

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Tim Bird wrote:
>I've tried to find documentation on the options that you can put
>in the Execute line of an Application.kdelnk file.  I've found
>the other macros (%u, %f, and the like), but I can't find any
>documentation on %i or %m.  I see these used by some of the
>kde applications.

They are used by *all* kde-applications (since they are implemented in
KApplication and all good kde-programs create a KApplication object before they
even look at the command line arguments ;-):

A standard line for a KDE application looks like this:

      foo .....    %i %m -caption \"%c\"

Pretty confusing, but it has been design in that way to be able to integrate
legacy, non-KDE applications as good as possible.

kfm when executing the line from above will extend the command to

     foo -icon something.xpm -miniicon something_mini.xpm -caption \"The Foo\"

Both the icon and the minicion as well as "The Foo" are properties defined
in the kdelnk file. If the icons are not defined, they simply default to
the executable name "foo".

This way a user can change these things in the menu-editor for his applications.
"-caption" is important, because no user will accept that the menu item "Editor"
starts something called "kedit-0.9pl4-build47". Instead, he expects a window
called "Editor". Furthermore these names are localised, i.e. an american
launches "CD-Player" and gets a window called "CD-Player" while a german
launches "CD Spieler" and gets a window called "CD-Spieler".

Matthias