List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K abiword port
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-05-24 2:40:00

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 1999, Andreas Pour wrote:
>
> > The problem here is not marketing but the development model:  there has no
> > "stable"/beta release of KOffice AFAIK.
>
> FWIW, Linux and Gtk+ both are constantly moving targets and have been
> reasonably successful.  It is mainly IMO a question of marketing, not
> stable releases.

I agree.  The lack of a stable KOffice release would not be a marketing problem
if the KOffice developers were willing to market alpha stuff as stable (to
follow the marketing model some others use).  But fortunately they have been
above doing that.  With these moral principles in mind, it is not possible to
market it (I was not trying to insinuate that the other projects are further or
better developed, I was just referring to their marketing approaches).

Of course, too early marketing is like crying "Wolf" to get attention -- it
only works so many times before people catch on . . .

Regards,

Andreas