List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FYI: size optimizations
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-23 22:35:16

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Lars Knoll wrote:

> I might be wrong, but I thought, you could disable exception handling in
> the libs, even if there are apps using them. You just won't be able to
> propagate exceptions through the library, but neither qt, nor kdelibs use
> them (meaning there aren't any functions in the libs calling functions
> that might throw exceptions), so shouldn't be a problem.

If you have to unwind the stack through a function in a library, compiling
the library with the correct compiler and exceptions enabled is required.

This is why most of the time you can get away with using gcc 2.7.x to
compile your libc, and egcs 1.1.2 to compile your exception using C++
program.

It's just IMO a good idea to leave exception handling stuff in the
libraries.

- alex