List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: File locations (was Re: directory for additional services?)
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-05-23 13:42:07

On 22-May-99 Holger Thon wrote:
> But i think FHS is pretty unflexible now. Even for somebody experienced
> with FHS it would twice or even more the time to move an existing entire
> e.g. fhs-compliant kde installation from /usr to another partition than
> a user, having a /x/kde kde-root. It is really hard to backup selective
> packages from a FHS compliant installation, for you have to select each
> single file of that packages. If you go into /usr/bin (FHS) and look for
> a forgotten tool of package x, then an ls won't help; you need an entire
> database containing all files of the packages instead, need to seek that
> database for that package, print it's contents, grep for /usr/bin and
> then you get the binaries.

Isn't this what rpm is for ?

My 2 euro is that I believe that putting all of KDE into one dir is the best
thing. Having it install by default to /opt is also a Good Thing.

This is, of course, the way we do it now.

/opt has been the 'traditional' dumping ground for big apps (you can call KDE
an app) for a while now.

FWIW, I really do have /x/kde ! Got me a bit worried when everyone talked about
/x/kde - wondered if you'd all been peeking at my box ;)

Cheers,
Rik

--
KDE - Colour outside the lines  : http://www.kde.org