List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kimgio and qimgio : nonsense.
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-05-24 0:54:25

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Andrew Richards wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 May 1999, Matt Koss wrote:
> >

> > > I would suggest rather to make a wrapper for Imlib.
> > > It is really a fast library.
> > >
> > > Just look at kuickshow for comparison.
> >
> > How well does it work with QPixmap and QImage, ie will a data copy be
> > required to marshall the image into and out of Imlib's internal image
> > format? Sorry, I don't have much experience with it. Kimgio is required to
> > do stuff like load icons, backgrounds etc and it may be a handicap if
> > stuff has to be copied around more than is necessary, especially for
> > larger images.
> >
> > I'd love to hear more about this; I've heard more than one person say that
> > they were working on an imlib wrapper but I haven't seen anything so far.
> >

> I looked at this a while ago and it appeared that there would be a significant
> performance penalty in getting to a QImage and on to a QPixmap. Direct drawing
> to the screen is fast but it ain't a QPixmap.

That is because there is a penalty for converting an X11 Pixmap to an X11
XImage. One is on the server and one is in the client. You will pay this no
matter what library you use.

> This doesn't mean it is a bad idea though. Using it to convert images which
> kimgio/qimageio doesn't handle would be nice. Ditto for imagemagick, I suppose.
> Wouldn't want the rely on them though.

ImageMagick's routines are very nice and the license seems more or less
artistic. Not only does it contain image conversion routines, but also a ton of
effects.

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com