List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kimgio and qimgio : nonsense.
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       1999-05-23 11:03:44

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Andrew Richards wrote:

> I wrote jpeg write support for kimgio and gave it to Taj
> a long time ago but it never made it into the CVS. (Probably because it had an
> ugly hack to set the compression parameters). Since then I've developed an
> extension to kimgio which does this a little more cleanly and also lets you
> send/recieve image parameters parameters.

Hi Andrew,

I was wondering how you were going with the parameters thing. Ad hoc
parameter setting for formats is a bit dodgy for general-purpose image
saving, so I have been sitting on your jpeg write stuff.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a good idea for this.
Ideally, an encoder should be able to provide a list of parameters
(string, boolean, integer) that can be used by an image writing program to
set the parameters and pass it back to the encoder, something like this:

class KImageIOParam
{
public:
	// Passed by encoder
	QString name;

	enum Type {String, boolean, integer};
	bool type;

	QString RangeStart, RangeEnd;
	QStringList *rangeList;		// 0, or names for each par value

	// for the image program to set the values.
	QString value;
};

The encoder can provide a list of these objects, and you can almost write
a generic image setting dialog that fills in each parameter. But of course
this is only a rough idea and may not be able to handle more complex
parameters...

Just a thought...

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au