List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio is a mess...
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-05-23 10:00:59

On 22-May-99 Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Rik Hemsley wrote:
>> At the moment it's like trying to learn to ride a bike using a book that
>> only
>> tells you how big the bearings are and how deep the tread is.
>
> Great analogy!!  KDE as a whole as very detailed "bearing" documentation and
> almost no "riding a bike" documentation :-)

Well it's close. Truthfully there's generally worthy API docs - if you know Qt
and KDE's not doing anything far fetched, they're fine. There's also very good
user docs. I installed a certain other desktop environment recently and found
about one package out of a bzillion had a tiny amount of user docs. Then X
froze...

Anyway, it's the middle bit that needs work, and as Alex says, the middle bit
can go in the API docs as that works well (in Qt and parts of KDE).

I'm not criticising, though !

The docs for KDE (1.1) are almost completely comprehensive. There's a good
excuse for KDE 2's docs being incomplete ;)

However, there is the question:
Do you want the apps for KDE 1.1 to be changed to use the new features in 2 by
the time 2 is out, or afterwards, when the docs are ready ?

I understand that the design for certain things may not be finished yet.
Certainly I'm having trouble documenting Empath when I rip apart major parts
weekly :)

Cheers,
Rik

--