Hi! Sean Kendall Schneyer wrote: > > Kurt Granroth wrote: > > > [snip] > > > The FHS says to do things like > > > > /x/share/kde > > /x/share/gnome > > /x/share/vim > > /x/lib/kde (I think) > > /x/lib/gnome (I think) > > /x/bin > > > > Personally, I like our $KDEDIR setup the best. KDE is just too big to think > > that it can easily fit at the same level as "normal" packages. > > So we are supposed to just disregard the FHS just because you > think that KDE is too big to be put under the "correct" locations?!? It's too fine for it as well. :-) > I'm not very familiar with the standard, but I personally feel that > if we are going to go agains a set standard that we need to have > a better reason than "it's just too big". Plus it shouldn't be a FHS is crap for workstations i think. Yes, it is a standard, but FHS has been designed years ago where the amount of apps to be stored was typically small. Nowadays, there are so much apps installed on *nixes, that the original claimed /usr partition began to grow and grow. You became /usr/local as well and could use /opt in rare situations, but anything beyond this had broken and will brake FHS. Pro FHS is it is a standard and people knowing FHS know where they can find what. But i think FHS is pretty unflexible now. Even for somebody experienced with FHS it would twice or even more the time to move an existing entire e.g. fhs-compliant kde installation from /usr to another partition than a user, having a /x/kde kde-root. It is really hard to backup selective packages from a FHS compliant installation, for you have to select each single file of that packages. If you go into /usr/bin (FHS) and look for a forgotten tool of package x, then an ls won't help; you need an entire database containing all files of the packages instead, need to seek that database for that package, print it's contents, grep for /usr/bin and then you get the binaries. > real problem for the user that doesn't want to put it with > the "normal" packages, then all they have to do is define "x" to > be /opt or /kde or anything else the user wants. What about the other way round: If a user (you?) really wants a FHS compliant installation, he could have a look into the debian/ directory of the kde sources. :-) Regards, Holger