List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio is a mess...
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-22 19:02:46

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> Ok, but this doesn't answer my question.
>
> I need to have some docs on how to use kio, not just the API reference.

Well IMO, a well written API reference will cover usage questions.

> Just one simple example of how to fire off a kio job connecting to a pop3
> server and how to talk to it would help.
>
> Someone MUST be able to help me out here !
>

> ... but I need to know EXACTLY how it is done, because the API docs DO
> NOT say.

KIOJob *job;
[..]
job = new KIOJob();
connect(job, SIGNAL( sigFinished( int ) ), this, SLOT(slotFinished(int)));
connect(job, SIGNAL(sigData( int, const char*, int ) ), this, SLOT(slotData(( int, const char*, int ) ));
job->get("pop://host/download/1");
job->get("pop://host/remove/1");

Now you can also manually specify the user and hostname in the url,
otherwise you'll be prompted for it.  Also the slave attempts to be
persistant, but perhaps a download_and_remove command would be safer.

I think also, I'll work on implementing the index part in a few moments,
so any suggestions are welcomed.

> At the moment it's like trying to learn to ride a bike using a book
> that only tells you how big the bearings are and how deep the tread
> is.

*grin*

- alex