List:       kde-devel
Subject:    System/User Settings (Was Re: KFFSTND revise (was Re: directory for
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-05-21 22:21:27

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> >
> > Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > > Well, this is not the point. The point is to make it _possible_ to place KDE
> > > into /usr without too much hassle. If you decide to use --prefix
> > > /whatthehell that's fine with everyone.
> >
> > Okay.. I'm all for making things possible.  If you can figure out how to
> > munge kstddirs to do BOTH
> >
> > $prefix/share/kde
> > $prefix/lib/kde
> > ..
> >
> > AND
> >
> > $prefix/kde/share
> > $prefix/kde/lib
> >
> > then I am all for it!
>
> Well, the key is that the applications no longer will have a way to
> check for _directories_, but for files.
>
> the type "config" could have kde/etc and etc/kde as relative path
> (several prefixes are possible as well - for example $HOME/.kde)
> and /etc/kde as absolute path. kstddirs will check which paths
> exist and will still work.

How about using a file like /etc/kderc which is a kde-config file containing the
installation location of the kde tree.  That way the config library just reads that
file to find the "system" datadir, sharedir, docdir, mimlnkdir, icondir, etc.

Actually, come to think of it, we (MieTerra) have written a very small database
library/program which we want to release under Artistic license.  It is similar to
KConfig class, in that it reads files of that format.  We would like to use it to
store system settings and user settings.  For example, at installation of KDE you
would tell the database program where the KDE dirs are; and when KDE Config starts
up it queries for these locations.  It also allows storing user-specific settings,
so you can store each user's "phone number", "address", etc., so various programs
can query this information (whether KDE or Gnome or regular Unix programs) and not
have the user re-enter it every time.

It was written entirely without using Qt (but using STL) so that it could be used
on all Unix systems

We alsp hope it can be used to store things like default browsers, e-mail clients
and the like so that when programs require opening a URL they can query for the
command to use prior to doing so.

Any interest in using this and/or including it as part of the KDE support package?
If so I will put it on a server over the weekend so people can try it out.

Regards,

Andreas Pour