List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: File locations (was Re: directory for additional services?)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 22:08:26

Sean Kendall Schneyer wrote:

> Andreas Pour wrote:
> >
> > Sean Kendall Schneyer wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sorry I came off the wrong way. The problem was that I didn't
> > > have a position to begin with really :o)  What happened was that
> > > I reacted to the fact that I thought you were saying that we
> > > shouldn't follow the FHS... and then the only reason that you
> > > seemed to give at the time was that we didn't fit into the
> > > "normal" package space. I wasn't trying to be rude in anyway
> > > and wasn't even saying that you were wrong, all I wanted was
> > > a concrete reason why we should _not_ follow the FHS since it
> > > was a standard. Nobody was able to give me a good reason so
> > > I finally pulled up the standard for myself to see why it would
> > > be so hard to follow for us... after reading it I can now see
> > > that we ARE (almost) following the standard. The only thing
> > > that we lack to conform to the standard is an $KDEDIR/man
> > > directory (as specified in section 3.8).
> >
> > Is that right?  As has been pointed out the /opt directory is reserved for
> > "add-ons".  As Preston pointed out some while ago, a package is not an "add-ln" if
> > it is part of a distribution.  Since KDE is now included in virtually every
> > distribution, it really is wrong to think of it as an add-on -- instead, it is an
> > integral component of every Linux system ( :-))) ).  So, I think RedHat has it
> > right on this one, it should go under /usr, not /opt, if you want to comply with
> > FHS.
> >
> Actually, what Preston said was that if you get it from the
> vendor that packaged your system (RedHat in this case) then it should
> go under /usr. But if you got it from any other source it should
> go under /opt or /usr/local.
>
> His original response can be found at:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde&m=92630941317386&w=2

I think, /opt is dead for binary packages of KDE. It doesn't make sense.
/usr is the way to go for any distribution, but that's not our main goal
-
there is only one goal for me - making it easy for distributions to
change
the locations.
The only remaining question for KDE and this list is the hierarchy below
/usr/local - do we want a /usr/local/kde or do we want to share
/usr/local/bin
with other programs. The later is definitly what I prefer.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Und sie nannten ihn, wie er selbst unterschrieb -
Den Trojanischen Pferdedieb