List:       kde-devel
Subject:    File locations (was Re: directory for additional services?)
From:       Sean Kendall Schneyer <Sean.Schneyer () kau ! se>
Date:       1999-05-21 15:30:35

Kurt Granroth wrote:

[snip]

> The FHS says to do things like
>
> /x/share/kde
> /x/share/gnome
> /x/share/vim
> /x/lib/kde (I think)
> /x/lib/gnome (I think)
> /x/bin
>
> Personally, I like our $KDEDIR setup the best.  KDE is just too big to think
> that it can easily fit at the same level as "normal" packages.

So we are supposed to just disregard the FHS just because you
think that KDE is too big to be put under the "correct" locations?!?
I'm not very familiar with the standard, but I personally feel that
if we are going to go agains a set standard that we need to have
a better reason than "it's just too big". Plus it shouldn't be a
real problem for the user that doesn't want to put it with
the "normal" packages, then all they have to do is define "x" to
be /opt or /kde or anything else the user wants.

// Sean