List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Knowing when a screensaver is active
From:       Holger Thon <devel_ht () unidui ! uni-duisburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 9:00:30

Andreas Pour wrote:

> I think the idea is the popup would be put there by the screensaver (meaning
> there should be a way to notify screensavers that an application wants
> attention -- like sending it a certain signal, that's fairly
> straightforward).  If you have two processes trying to be on top, you get a
> silly battle.

Wouldn't this mean that the screensaver needed an interface to do this?
Then you can't use a screensaver of your choice with this app.
And what do you suppose to do when someone REALLY wants to lock screen
or sends an xforcescreensaver() to his display? Maybe he's away 36 hours
and his workstation is up night and day. Then this nice popup would do
interesting things to the monitor. You can`t expect that everybody has
enabled DPMS on his XServer, for not everyone supports it.

I don't see the point where it could be necessary to notify the user of
something when the screensaver is active. I would say, the standard user
has stopped activity for some time when the screensaver runs. What would
be so important to notify the user what's going on? :-)
When the user is away, he won't see it anyway. And if he is there and
want's to know what's going on, he could stop the screensaver again and
look if any popups appeared. And if this is too much work in his opinion
he could change the timeout or even turn the screensaver off.

Regards,
  Holger