List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Knowing when a screensaver is active
From:       Holger Thon <devel_ht () unidui ! uni-duisburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-21 8:06:30

Hi!

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Út, 18 kvì 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote :
> > >Is there a way to reliably tell when a screensaver is active?  KBiff has an
> > >option where it will pop up a dialog when new mail arrives.  Unfortunately,
> > >if a screensaver is active, it will pop up the dialog on TOP of the
> > >screensaver.  This is not good.
> > >
> > >Unfortunately, I haven't a clue how I can tell when the screensaver is
> > >active in order to prevent this.  Is there such a mechanism?

I can imagine getting the args with xgetscreensaver(). But you cannot
determine if it's active.

> > Licq uses XScreenSaver<something> function for auto-away, so this could
> > probably help you ( http://licq.wibble.net ).

Well, there's a xlib function called xforcescreensaver(). With this you
can activate or deactivate it again. But i haven't seen any call like
this in Licq (including xactivatescreensaver() and xresetscreensaver()).
I will recheck this in a newer licq.

And i don't think it's good to do something like this, anyway. Just
imagine you sit on a workstation and lock your display to drink a cup of
coffee. When you come back, some app has deactivated the screensaver and
anybody could have had access to your workstation in the meantime.

Regards,
  Holger