List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mico 2.2.6
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-05-20 21:46:59

On Thu, 20 May 1999, David Faure wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 10:49:41PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> > > Those problems are 'simple' porting stuff, which Steffen and Simon have
> > > already done on their hdd. When they say "we all switch", I suppose
> > > they will also commit the necessary changes.
> >
> > No problem, I'm ready to commit _ALL_ necessary changes.
> >
> > > The problem is not that, but kded still not working well, so object
> > > trading would be broken. Perhaps we should apply those changes in a branch
> > > (like MICO_2_2_6) so that more people can test it with 2.2.6 ?
> > > Or this is stupid and let's simply switch and temporary lose embedding...
> > > Don't know.
> >
> > Wellwell, *I* don't really care and know ;-)
> >
> > *If* everyone agrees I can commit all stuff.
> >
> > But in somehow I don't like the extra-branch idea very much. Just my
> > personal taste :) , I think it's a little bit confusing.
> >
> > So IMO: _WHEN_ switching, then let's switch really, withouth an extra tag.
> >
> > And: Switching now makes integrating kded easier IMO, since it wouldn't
> > require an all-in-one-really-huge commit, which would then include, beside
> > the mico porting stuff for kdelibs/konqy/koffice, also _all_ (upcoming)
> > changes with some .desktop files for the services, so that the trader is
> > able to find some koffice plugins and stuff _and_ the changes in
> > libkofficecore to call the trader+activator in kded.
> >
> > It's not my decision :) . I can commit all stuff *now* (tonight) _or_ at
> > the end of the next week (because I'll have no net-access the next
> > week ).
>
> ok, ok ..
>
> I would say "let's switch", but be prepared for tons of bug reports on koffice@ :))

Hehe, ok :-)

commit done

> How long do you think before kded is ready (in the sense that it can replace
> koffice's trader ?)

Hm, I don't want to make false promises... ;-)
I think kded isn't very far from being ready as replacement for kotrader.
Perhaps we can finish it at the end of the next week (when I'm back) .

But then we need to finish the directory-for-some-services issue I think.

> I don't think we all need to say "yes" to the switch. Let's simply say that if nobody
> objects (and it doesn't seem that anybody objects) then we'll switch asap.

now it's too late anyway ;-)

> /me is glad that he didn't use embedded stuff in his kpresenter demo,
> ready for the French Linux Expo :)

Coool!

> So : just announce the switch, commit the changes, and update the minimum mico version
> required in the configure.in[.in] scripts.

Did all that stuff, I hope I didn't forget anything.

Ciao,
  Simon

--
Simon Hausmann       <hausmann@kde.org>