List:       kde-devel
Subject:    directory for additional services?
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-05-20 15:34:42

Hello,

I think it would be nice to have a special directory for services which
.desktop file does not fit into the applnk tree.

Easiest example:
Konqueror :-)
I guess Konqueror will not have it's own .desktop file in applnk, but
there still needs to be some place where its service is described, so that
the trader in kded can search for it and provide it as offer to apps like
kfmclient or others.

In addition I could think of services like
 a) initial services for kded (services kded load upon startup, like
    naming service)
 b) perhaps filter/tool services from KOffice

At least I think there will be _some_ services which do not have an
appropriate app in applnk, which .desktop they could "use" .
So that's why IMHO an additional directory for such .desktop files would
be very nice (something like $KDEDIR/share/find_a_name_for_it )

Ideas / Comments / Suggestions ?

Ciao,
  Simon

--