List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: High Five Roberto
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       1999-05-20 14:01:08

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Holger Thon wrote:

> Alex Zepeda wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 19 May 1999, Sean Kendall Schneyer wrote:
> >
> > > Great job with the "clean-up" on Slashdot Roberto... now I
> > > just wish I had more moderator points left!
> >
> > ROTFL!
> >
> > What cleanup?  Most of the posts I've seen *so far* have been neither anti
> > Gnome nor anti KDE, but they've been anti Miguel.
> >
> > The part I loved:
> >
> > by Macka on Wednesday May 19, @12:43PM EDT
> >    I am very upset by what I've just read. If Miguel genuinely made those
> >    derogatory comments about KDE then he needs to be replaced as the
> >    mouth piece for the GNOME project until he learns that the position of
> >    spokesperson carries responsibility.
> >    His comments about KDE are factually incorrect, immature and go great
> >    damage to the work people have put in to build peace between the two
> >    camps.
>
> I also don't see why most people using gnome say they use it because
> it's free. KDE was under GPL since developement started; the only
> problem were the licence policies on qt from troll tech some time ago.
> Now you can explicitly read that qt is free for non-commercial use
> including with KDE (it exactly reads: QT ... may be freely used for:
> "Running software developed by others (e.g. KDE)"
> "Development of open source/non-proprietary software"
>
> And qt 2.0 will be free anyway, too.
>
> Moreover the peace between KDE and Gnome could bring up good chances
> enhancing developement of these desktop systems. If you imagine that the
> "concurrence" between both speeded up developement, the fact that the
> one will make use and the other makes use of CORBA might bring up
> chances for both projects to benefit from each other.
>
> Perhaps there might even be the chance for Gnome apps to be embedded in
> KDE and vice versa.
>
> Having this in mind, i don't understand Miguels opinion. I think he
> should be glad about the chances peace or even cooperation might bring
> to both projects.

Miguel is an asshole. He smiles at you while, when you're turning
your back to him, he'll happily dagger you. I won't even permit him
to enter my house fearing he'll crash my computer while smiling at
me.

Peace and cooperation with GNOME is OK, but I won't ever cooperate with
Miguel. No way. This man is a disgrace not only to GNOME but to the
community of freeware programmers in general.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel: +264 - 061 - 244511
P.O.Box 30955                                    Fax: +264 - 061 - 244511
Windhoek                                         Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Republic of Namibia                                           uwe@kde.org
                                                       http://www.kde.org