List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Gnome story has hit slashdot...
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-05-20 7:56:35

Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> Isn't it strange? Developers of both teams try to work
> more closely together on a technical level and their
> self-appointed leader tries as hard as he can to make
> that politically impossible for the KDE team without
> losing face.
>
> I'm still in favour of working with them to some degree,
> mainly for the benefit of linux users in general.
> However, if Miguel continues with his flames and the
> gnome developers don't oppose to his behaviour, we have
> to assume that he actually represents their attitude or
> at least the attitude of their majority.
>
> When we are forced to draw this conclusion, I'm done
> with cooperation. It's always a nice feeling to be
> ethically on the right side but that doesn't imply
> that we have to behave like martyrs.
>
> I'd say it's up to the gnome developers now, to either
> pull Miguel back in line or drop him.

I don't like playing political games and I am always a
great proponent of working together with people on the
basis of mutual respect. Unfortunately I haven't seen
much respect from "the leader of the GNOME project" so
I would suggest that either the GNOME people replace
their leader with someone who shows somewhat more respect
for other software developers or that we, as KDE, start
ignoring GNOME completely and just continue building the
best desktop around.

KDE has a very good market postition so we really don't
have to care about GNOME. It's just that it hurts our
users who want to run GNOME-applications next to KDE.

Cheers,
Waldo Bastian
bastian@kde.org