List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kimgio and qimgio : nonsense.
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-20 6:36:02

I think the current situation is nonsense.
We have kimgio, that can't properly save PNG (colors get screwed) and that
can't save JPG at all.
In qt there is qimgio, that does all this very well, but which is not installed
by default, as it is in extensions/
This mess makes it impossible to save JPGs from kpresenter / ksnapshot / ...
which is a terrible situation (a presentation converted in BMPs is awfully huge !!)

* What are TT's plans about qimgio ? Will it be really part of Qt one day ?
(cc'ed to qt-interest about this question)
* It's opensource, dammit. Why can't we borrow the PNG & JPG saving code from qimgio
 and put it in kimgio ?

We want to get rid of GIF, ok, but for that we need proper tools able to save PNGs and JPGs !

David
 who wonders if there will be a merged [qk]imgio one day, instead of the current nonsense.

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org