List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: screensaver proposal
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-19 0:11:11

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Martin Konold wrote:

> Well, I am not shure if it is worth the effort. IMHO in the long run we
> should drop to support the legacy screensavers instead.
>
> Support of legacy screensavers gains not much but causes potentially a lot
> of trouble and is a source of inconsistency.
>
> Remember: KDE is about choice BUT a very important goal is consistency.

Yes.  I know I've been threatening to write some sort of KDE screensaver
that would act as a front end for xscreensavers, but I seriously doubt
I'll get around to it.

If we support the xscreensaver method by default, we need a way to get at
XResources, and last I checked, nobody was really planning on writing an
XResource backend for KConfig.  By supporting the xscreensaver "method"
you loose (IMO) a bit of flexibility.  It's all very monolithic.

- alex