List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Are we connected ?
From:       Holger Thon <devel_ht () unidui ! uni-duisburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-18 17:50:48

Matt Koss wrote:

> I am a dialup user, and of course that I don't want Caitoo to connect whenever
> we are disconnected. But users with other types of connection might want just
> this.
>
> That's why the service will perform two tasks.
> First will inform the application about the status of connection.
> Second will allow applications to request connection - something like
> connect-on-demand.
>
> This should be of course configurable and allow combining. Some users might
> want their applications to connect automatically and some not.
>
> I think that rather then having this approach application-oriented (
> differentiating between ICQ, kbiff, kmail and whatsoever ), it should by
> user / connection oriented.
> Users will simply select the type of connection they have and choose whether
> they want to have applications connect automatically or only check the
> connections.
>
> However, I guess that per-applications settings could be useful too. Thus
> configuration could have general settings + per-application settings (
> something like kwm does ).

I think the attempt to keep these settings user separated is a good
idea. However you are not able to block connections out of the block
(especially from non-KDE applications). The easiest way for
Network-Applications would be to have a Class KNetCore which at least
checks for the User settings and is able to create and remove sockets.
When the connection isn't made for we are down, we can return a
statuscode.
On the one hand it'll be a lot of work to make such a check "KDE-wide"
(i.e. working on all KDE-Applications) and be not even worth it.
On the other hand implementation of new application will be much easier
because the parent KNetCore would already check if we are connected.

Regards,
  Holger