List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Desktop Entry Standard / XML
From:       Sean Kendall Schneyer <Sean.Schneyer () kau ! se>
Date:       1999-05-16 18:40:00

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> I think I wanted to insist more (but I failed) on the need of
> supplementary work which a rc file format switch will demand both from the
> developers of that new format and from all the immaginable developers of
> KDE apps.

What makes you think that this switch would have to be at such a
high cost to developers? If they have a programming API to work
against then it shouldn't be that hard to use. The current API
could possibly be used without much change, it would just be the
underlying storage format that would change. This would allow
an initial switch to XML without incurring high costs. From that
point, extensions can be made to the API to take advantage of the
new storage format.

// Sean