List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig again
From:       Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () dalheimer ! de>
Date:       1999-05-16 17:39:43

pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> Mosfet and I were talking, and we made the hypothesis that most apps using
> a KConfig object to a few initial readEntry()s, and then they basically
> don't touch the KConfig object again until it is time to shut down (i.e.
> destroy the object / save changes).  This means that keeping KConfig
> entries around in RAM (cached) is rather a waste.  It would seem to make
> more sense to read it dynamically off the disk when needed.

Of course, you can do that (and I would suggest using QCache as you go),
but don't forget that you will have to reread all the configuration
files in the hierarchy when you want to touch the object again. Thus you
win some memory gain (just how much depends on the individual user's
installation), but trade it for some performance loss, which again
depends on the user's installation, but also hard disk speed usw.

Kalle

--
Kalle Dalheimer              Contract programming for Unix
kalle@dalheimer.de           Technical writing