I think I wanted to insist more (but I failed) on the need of supplementary work which a rc file format switch will demand both from the developers of that new format and from all the immaginable developers of KDE apps. On Sat, 15 May 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote: > On Sat, 15 May 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote: > > XML disadvantages: > > - less human readable > > You assume that the current format is considered really readable by > everyone. Add enough tabs and/or spaces and XML can be made quite > readable. You implicitely consider yet more work at making it readable, apart from the work needed for the switch. > > - incumbs a high transition price when switching from the current format . > > - backwards compatibility of apps would have huge costs > > If a similar interface was provided, and a script to automagically convert > the old format to XML, would switching really be that much of a pain? The script would be another piece of code to debug and maintain. ATTN: I don't try to slam the idea of switching to XML. I just try to put on an even level the elements which will help us to decide if the switching would be worth the work. Until now I only heard that a switch wouldn't be so hard. I didn't hear, though, any compelling advantage of this switch. Cristian