On Sat, 15 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote: > Several people have suggested to me that the new Desktop Entry Standard > define the on-disk file in XML. What we really care about is the actual > keys and values, the on-disk format isn't nearly as important. XML would > give us a clearly defined, hierarchical system (something the current > ini-like format lacks) which we already have a parser for in Qt 2.0. I must say that the most encumbering thing about the current rc files internal format is the somehow haotic output. I mean, keys are grouped on ... groups, but inside a group the order of keys isn't predictable. Also, there's no easy way to know what the *options* are for a key value. Plus, there's no trivial way to extend the current format to multi-level trees (I'd strongly love this). XML could help with this encumberance. But I still don't think this is worth the pain of all converting. Let's see: XML advantages: - structured internal layout - possible future enhancement to multi-level trees XML disadvantages: - less human readable - incumbs a high transition price when switching from the current format . - backwards compatibility of apps would have huge costs So, is a switch worth? I don't think so. I think we need a more thorough analysis. > The GNOME guys are in favor of "fixing this" as well. They would have to > go through the same sort of pain as us in switching to this new file > format, as their on-disk format currently is INI-like as well. This has less importance for our discussion. KDE has a stability reputation to defend. And a larger kde-1.1-compatible app base to cope with. Cristian