List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Are we connected ?
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       1999-05-15 12:40:30

On Thu, 13 May 1999 David Faure wrote:
>On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 12:44:58AM +0200, Christian Esken wrote:
>[...]
>> >However, when I bring eth1 up, THEN it's connected to the Internet.
>> >There is NO WAY for any app to know when the host is connected to Internet.
>>
>> Pardon ??? Just tell the app, "eth1" being up means "internet is available".
>
>Ok, I thought you wanted this detection to be automatic.
>Of course, if it's configurable, no problem.

And I think this is "the right way".

>> Still I feel this is all just academic talk. I wouldnīt like such a solution - itīs a hack
>> and perhaps not even very portable. Much better would be a (CORBA) service,
>> that you can query.
>?? You still have to implement it in the CORBA service, I don't see what this changes !

Right.
I do now agree, please see my earlier thoughts on this at the end of the text.

BTW: You could implement it anywhere: In an application, in a library, in
a CORBA service - it doesnīt matter really.

But doing it in a lib or as service, you would only have to do this once.
For me this cries for a service. This "dialup" service object could do more
like allowing to dial in and terminate connections.

OK, enough rambling. I hope the original poster is enlightend enough now. ;-)

Christian

[ ******** My earlier thoughts were the following: ************
The CORBA service could have a "method" to check if one is online
(lets call it online() ). But lets assume it would have some kind of
setOnline(bool are_we_online).

kppp and kisdn would be able to set the online status. One could provide
a small "online" wrapper script for non-K dialup programs (dial-on-demand,
slip login, ...) Thus thereīs no need for the service to check for some routes.

But: I agree that using the "route" solution is the right thing. Itīs more reliable,
indendent from a reduntant status variable. Itīs easy: If a route is "up", the
connection is still active