List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KConfig memory usage / .kderc
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-15 21:44:40

Hi developers:

I finished porting KConfig from QDicts to QMaps, which should
theoretically eliminate memory "holes" that were side effects of using the
QDict (hash table).  I haven't run any head-2-head tests though, I'm
curious to do this w/someone else before I commit the changes.  Any ideas
on how to do a decent test to determine memory savings?

In worse news, I now realize that we are wasting between 30 and 50k of
memory each time we create a new KConfig object.  This is because of all
the key,value pairs that are contained in ~/.kderc.  It has ballooned up
quite a bit recently, too.  Each time a KConfig is created these global
entries are included in addition to any config-file specific entries.  It
is data so it is not shared.  Thus if you have 10 KDE programs running on
your system (and we usually have at least that many) you are wasting at
least 300-500k.  That's pretty senseless.

Any ideas about how to get these values into some sort of shared memory
area?

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.