List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets?
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-05-14 19:56:44

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Torsten Rahn wrote:
> I was showing that your "it's not intuitive to most users" argument to be
> false.  MOST users are coming from a Windows world and to THEM, docking is
> intuitive -- applets are not.

Give me *ONE* example for *ONE* Gnome-applet that is non-intuitive

- for a Windoze-user
- or for your Grandma
- or well .. anybody!!!!

I even think that most users will control them much better as most of
these
applets need the left key of the mouse only!
!!!!!!

(... hmm, well the fish in the tank might be non-intutive but it almost
looks like
a docked app ...)

> > Comeon -- if we don't want KDE to become obvious bloatware we have to drop
> > features that are superfluous and have no real advantage over superior
> > implemented features!
>
> I totally agree.

Great ...

> > > 2) Docking takes up much less space.  I generally have 3 KBiffs, 1 Kscd..
> >
> > NOT TRUE, the smallest GNOME APPLET is only about five or six pixels wide:
> > It shows a vertical floppy disk to mount such a device.
>
> And is bug-ugly.

I totally agree!  :-)

> > > 3) Docking is more intuitive for indicators from a human-machine interface
> > >    point of view.
> > Who said that? You can do the same things with applets as with docking
> > (it can even look the same) -- but applets can do more ...So why should
> > this be more intuitive?
> Let's not confuse the issue.  I am TOTALLY okay with implementing dockable
> applications as applets... as long as they behave like current docked apps

Aaaah! I see ...! perhaps we mean the same....

> (i.e., are in a "dock" in the panel)

That was what I was talking about: to have applets *only* and to have
some
applets that look similar to the docked-apps that we already have (kbiff
e.g.).
O.k. so we can drop docking (I mean the code ...) as it is implemented
right
now, right?

Torsten