Torsten Rahn wrote: > and useless Options lead to Bloatware(TM), confusion, ... . I agree.. but docking is NOT a "useless option". > > 1) Docking is more intuitive for Windows users. There is no real equivalent > > to applets in Windows but there *are* docked apps. > > O.k., why don't we copy everything from Windows98 to make sure they feel > at home? I would also suggest to copy all nifty OS/2, Mac and Beos-features > to make everybody feel at home. Let's not get silly, here. Debating the merits of a dockable application hardly suggests "copy[ing] everything from Windows98". I was showing that your "it's not intuitive to most users" argument to be false. MOST users are coming from a Windows world and to THEM, docking is intuitive -- applets are not. > Comeon -- if we don't want KDE to become obvious bloatware we have to drop > features that are superfluous and have no real advantage over superior > implemented features! I totally agree. > > 2) Docking takes up much less space. I generally have 3 KBiffs, 1 Kscd.. > > NOT TRUE, the smallest GNOME APPLET is only about five or six pixels wide: > It shows a vertical floppy disk to mount such a device. And is bug-ugly. > > 3) Docking is more intuitive for indicators from a human-machine interface > > point of view. > > Who said that? You can do the same things with applets as with docking > (it can even look the same) -- but applets can do more ...So why should > this be more intuitive? Let's not confuse the issue. I am TOTALLY okay with implementing dockable applications as applets... as long as they behave like current docked apps (i.e., are in a "dock" in the panel) I am also not against applets at all. I think they are cool and very useful. I just think that both applets and docked apps both have their place and both must be supported. -- Kurt Granroth | granroth@kde.org KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Linux