List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets?
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-05-14 17:00:59

Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> >BTW: How are kpanel and panelapplets going to communicate? CORBA/KOM or
> >yet-another-special-protocol?
>
> No, not yet-another-special-protocol but X11.
>
> From a "standard" point of view tt doesn't matter at all whether we
> introduce a new protocol based on CORBA or a new protocol based on X11. But
> X11 has the advantage, that we don't need Corba for the panel and all the
> tiny applets. The unix way: use the right tools for the right job.
>
> I'll try to standarize the docking protocol with Alfredo and Raster, so that
> the same applet will work for kpanel or windowmaker or enlightment etc.

Getting the GNOME team to agree to this should be... interesting.  You know
how they keep pushing the fact that they are using CORBA?  Well, AFAIK, the
*only* real uses they have for CORBA are:

1) Applet communication with the panel
and
2) Their control center

Asking them to drop CORBA from the panel will be a lot of fun..
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth