List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets?
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-05-14 14:53:10

Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Concerning apps in the panel we have:
>
> 1. Docking,
>
> 2. Swallowing
>
> 3. Applets
>
> which look all the same to me from the point of the user. "What´s the
> difference?  Why three names for something that looks all the same to me?"
> => Irritation!

I disagree that they look the same (well, maybe to "some" users).  Docked
widgets are always in the little docking panel on the right of the panel ala
Win9x.  Applets allow the app to run in the panel but NOT in the docking part.
Swallowing allows legacy apps to run in the panel.

> Is it possible to convert all docked apps to applets? Any disadvantages?

It would probably be trivial from a programming point of view.  However, I
like the idea of the docked widgets.  To me, they are all indicators.  KBiff,
KPPP, Caitoo, etc all show the status of *some* action.  I *do* think KSCD
would be better off as an Applet though, as it is not an indicator.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth