List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Applets? [ was: Re: kde mp3 player]
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-05-14 9:25:41

On Pi, 14 máj 1999, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

>Now look at it from the users' perspective:
>
>-> A user learns that menu items can be dragged onto the toolbar. What a
>cool feature! Let's try it...
>
>-> This doesn't work AT ALL for 50% of menu items just because they don't
>have an icon! Who cares about the damn icon!?? I just want "new HTML table
>row" on the toolbar dammit!

Just look at MS apps like Word, or StarOffice.
There is a possibility to put items on toolbar, and these items don't need to
have an icon. They are just displayed simply as a text. Toolbar then look like
a mix of icon and text buttons.
I don't think that this is any disadvantage. As far as it's ok for user to have
such a toolbar.
At any time, this item can have an icon assigned to it ( at least in
StarOffice, don't know about MS apps). Creating a nice icon chooser dialog,
which would be easily accessible ( e.g. by pressing right mouse button on
menu / toolbar item ), would not be a drawback IMO.

This approach also doesn't put a big burden on icon artists.
I agree that it is nonsense to create icons just-in-case somebody might
use them. But common, and widely used menu/toolbar items should have their
standard icon anyway.

  Best regards

			Matt

--