On Thu, 13 May 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote: > On Thu, 13 May 1999, Uwe Thiem wrote: > > > Load a 100KB document into kless (from kdesdk/kexample - kedit or > > kwrite won't show the behaviour because they don't save the date > > itself but the file name resp. URL only). If you log out from KDE > > it takes several minutes to save the data. It isn't related to > > storing the whole data into a QString; that's fast. > > KConfig::writeEntry() takes all the time. Same for > > KConfig::readEntry(). > > I'm working on KConfig right now, both for memory usage improvements and > speed issues. > > Speed improvement suggestions welcome. :) I'm converting the in-memory > storage from QDict to a QMap to improve memory usage. As i said in a previous mail: It might be worth it to try _not_ to load the file into a data-structure at first, and instead iterate through the file to do lookup on a key. This will make apps start faster. After a key/value pair has been requested for the first time, it could be put into a QMap for fast reference later. But if we have too long files this will of course be too slow. Also i think it will be a good idea to use only one QMap per config file. The key could be pair for the group and the key. When comparing two pairs the key-part should be compared first. greetings, -------------- Steffen Hansen | email: stefh@mip.sdu.dk, stefh@imada.sdu.dk,| hansen@kde.org | ABC...VWXKZ :) URL: http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~stefh |