List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mime-Types
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-05-13 16:41:27

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> As this seems to be the period of brainstorming for KDE 2.0:
>
> Is the definition of new Mimetypes still implemented the way
> it is in KDE 1.1.1? I think it is very difficult to add a new
> MIME-type (especially if you have a non-kde-app that
> hasn't appeared in the k-menu) for most people. Even people
> who have been using KDE for a long time have some problems
> concerning this.
>
> Anyone with an idea how to make things easier?

While the implementation will likely stay the same (.desktop entries
describing the mime type) a unified mime-type editor (like in Netscape or,
um, GNOME) would be a great tool to have.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.